psalm 23: Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff-they will comfort me.
My husband has cancer and may be terminally ill. It is the shadow over my life.








Sunday, December 5, 2010

a week in the hospital

well, technically 1/2 a week, but it felt like a week. The new chemo skyrocketed his blood sugar so he was admitted last Tuesday evening and came home yesterday (Saturday). His parents came in on Wednesday and I went home for about 3 hours. Other than that, I was at the hospital the whole time.

That was not how I expected to spend 3 days of vacation time, but what can you do? I guess I could do a lot. I'm going to get home access to work, so I can use my laptop and at least do some work next time, maybe it'll count as a 1/2 day or something.

There was a woman visiting the patient next door. I saw her a few times and she was obviously upset. One time I walked out of hubby's room and she was just there trying not to cry (I think standing at 'our' doorway was the closest she could be while being out of sight of the patient next door). She had the "oh god, the world just ended, and no one notices" look that I've felt many times. I'm not a huggie type of person, especially with people I don't know,  but I couldn't help it. I walked over to her and said, "I'm sorry, I don't know you, but you look like you need a hug," and I did. She started crying and told me her husband was just diagnosed with cancer and it's terminal. We talked for a few minutes, I doubt I said anything earth-shattering. I saw her again when she was leaving and I gave her another hug.

I hope she'll be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment