psalm 23: Though I walk in the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff-they will comfort me.
My husband has cancer and may be terminally ill. It is the shadow over my life.








Sunday, January 9, 2011

The waiting's over

Thursday during the day they could manage his pain with as-needed pain meds, he was responsive enough to say yes/no when someone asked if he's in pain or if he wanted pain meds.

Thursday night they moved hubby to a palliative care room (similar to in-patient hospice).

Thursday night he was restless but we couldn't tell if he was in pain or just moving away from the catheters. He got some pain meds and it helped some.

Friday early morning was awful, he had a pain attack that was terrifying to watch. The nurse gave him as much as-needed pain med as she could and I talked to him to try to calm him down. When he finally calmed down and looked like he was out of pain, the nurse talked to the doctors and they started a constant pain-med IV. That helped a lot. The only good thing about the pain attack was that no one else was here to see it, it was just me and the nurses.

The rest of Friday was easier on him. There was family with him all day, someone was always holding his hand.

Friday at 7.25pm he stopped breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment